Monday, October 15, 2012

Fallingwater Isn't Always Rain

After a long hiatus during which I didn't do any sightseeing on the weekends, I spent Sunday in Pennsylvania exploring back roads, viewing the fall colors, and seeing what Fayette County has to offer. Turns out, the answer is "a lot." From historic homes to battlefields to hiking to whitewater rafting, Fayette County has endeared itself enough to entice me back next spring when the outdoor activities can better be enjoyed.

My first stop on the whirlwind tour was Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Finished in 1939, the home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966 and hailed by TIME Magazine as Wright's "most beautiful job." Situated above a waterfall on Bear Run, the house is indeed a stunning piece of architecture. The house is largely constructed of glass, so I opted to take the walking tour of the grounds rather than the house tour, which is considerably more expensive. I was still able to see the interior from the terraces by looking in the windows.

The grounds were crowded, as the day was absolutely beautiful, so it took some time to get shots that weren't blocked by a person standing in front of me. The shot above was taken from the driveway bridge over Bear Run.

 
 Continuing up the driveway, the decorative concrete beams above the drive create a shaded area.
 The guesthouse overlooks the main house, resting on the bluffs above it.
 These terraces overhand the waterfalls on Bear Run and give the house its distinctive look that Wright fans treasure.
The iconic view of Fallingwater, taken from the same scenic overlook that the professionals use when photographing the house.

After touring the grounds for an hour, I returned to the visitor center and checked out the gift shop, purchasing a book on the history of Sears homes. My adventures did not stop with the historic home that day, but my time has run out, so the tale will continue tomorrow. Stay green, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment